This Shiitake Mushroom with Gluten Ball, 香菇面筋 (Xiāng gū miàn jīn) dish is made with puffy wheat gluten balls. It is so easy-to-make and delicious that you can have a meal in 30 minutes.
I’m a big mushrooms lover, any kind of mushrooms, actually. A simple dish like this always makes me happy, especially with the added wheat gluten balls. Do you have a favorite mushroom dish that you cook often? Braised dishes are easy and flavorful, do you agree?
In this particular recipe, the dried Shiitake mushrooms work the best. The ‘meat’ is thick and when they absorb the sauce, it becomes so juicy too. I also added fresh green bamboo shoots and mixed them in a simple sauce.
When it comes to handling dried Shiitake mushrooms, I like to soak them in room temperature and let the water slowly ‘puff’ up the mushrooms. Or if you are in time crunch, you can soak them in boiling water. I highly recommend that you reserve the water that you used to soak the mushrooms as broth, it just gives it an extra umami punch.
This dish is delicious and goes so well with a bowl of rice or noodles. YUM!
How to make Shiitake Mushroom Gluten Ball
Soak dried Shiitake mushrooms in water until they softened. Reserve the water to use as stock later.
Remove fried wheat gluten balls from its package and place them in a bowl. Slowly pour in the hot water and let them sit in it for 5 minutes. Using a a pair of tongs, lightly squeeze the wheat gluten balls to remove the excess oil. Drain and set aside.
Heat a large wok and add the oil. Sauté ginger, then mushrooms until fragrant. Then, add the sliced fresh bamboo shoots and toss until well combined.
Once you added the gluten balls, season with dark soy sauce, vegan oyster sauce, and soy sauce. Add the reserved mushrooms water back into the mixture.
Braise the mushrooms until the sauce has been absorbed. Fold in chopped scallions and turn off the heat. Serve warm. Enjoy with a bowl of rice.
Don’t forget to check out my other Easy meal recipes:
This Shiitake Mushroom Gluten Ball is
- Quick and Easy
- Delicious and Flavorful
- Easily Customizable (skip green onions for allium-free option)
- Gluten-free options (use gluten-free sauces)
- Perfect side dish for any meal
If you try this recipe, I would love to hear your feedback and see your beautiful re-creation. Leave me a comment, rate it, and tag @woon.heng and #woonheng to your photos on Instagram or Facebook. Happy cooking, friends!
Easy 30-minute Shiitake Mushroom with Gluten Ball
- 12 caps dried Shiitake mushrooms soaked in water until soft
- 50 g fried gluten balls
- 1 cup mushrooms water or veggie stock
- 4 stalks green onions or chopped cilantro
- 300 g green bamboo shoots sliced
- 5 slices ginger
- Prepare the mushrooms: Soak dried mushrooms in water until soft. To speed up this process, soak them in hot water for about 30 minutes.
- Remove the stems with a pair of scissors. Save the stem for soups and reserve the mushrooms water for later.
- Place gluten balls in a bowl and or hot water to cover the balls. Using a pair of tongs, dip the balls into the hot water to soften them. Once the gluten balls start to wrinkle, squeeze out the water and set them aside.
- Heat a large wok and add 2 tablespoons of oil.
- Sauté ginger until aromatic, then continue to cook mushrooms until fragrant. Add the sliced fresh bamboo shoots, gluten balls, toss everything until well-combined.
- Season with dark soy sauce, soy sauce, vegan oyster sauce, and sugar.
- Then, add the mushrooms water and bring it to a boil. Once the water has been absorbed, fold in the scallions or cilantro and turn off the heat.
- Serve warm with rice.
- For a homemade vegan oyster sauce, please use this recipe.