This vegan curry butter spaghetti is as easy as it is and as tasty as it looks. Only 30 minutes (or less depending on the noodles or pasta you are using), this slurpilicious bowl is savory and yummy!
Spicy, slurpy, creamy in one bowl – what’s not to love about this dish, right? Is this a traditional dish? Well, maybe not but it’s inspired by dry curry dishes from Malaysia. The word dry is a little confusing if you haven’t tried the dish before because you may be thinking of dry spice. It’s actually a curry that’s reduced into a thick sauce, almost gravy-like consistency.
While my recipe may not have the thickness of dry curry, it definitely is a drier version compared to normal curry. Each noodle thread clings to the spicy sauce perfectly with a slippery touch from the butter. It’s just so delicious and you won’t believe it takes less than 30 minutes to make!
To keep things simple for my quick meal, I’m using Mama Lam’s vegan Malaysian curry paste. I have heard of this brand a long time ago but never got to try it. The paste comes in mild or medium, and I love how the taste brought me back home. Some other brands that I like include Mekhala Living, Ayam’s Brand (check the ingredient), and some local curry pastes.
How to make vegan Curry Butter Spaghetti
It’s super simple and easy! First, cook your spaghetti as directed (always season your water with salt) – save some starch water for the curry.
Next, prepare the curry. Towards the last few minutes of cooking the spaghetti, heat a pan with oil. Temper curry leaves (optional step but highly recommended especially if you can find fresh curry leaves).
Add the curry paste, quickly stir to combine. Add the coconut milk and stir – the color will change from red to a nice golden combination.
Season with mushrooms or umami (Yondu) seasoning. Add the pasta water and bring to boil. Taste test and season accordingly. I didn’t add any additional salt to mine.
Ladle the curry into a bowl.
Drain out the spaghetti and add to the bowl. Add a blob of butter and toss noodle with curry until well combined. Garnish with chopped scallions, fried shallots and serve hot.
Vegan Curry Butter Spaghetti Cooking Tips
- Can I use other noodle or pasta? Yes, please adjust the curry amount accordingly. Some noodles absorb more curry compared to others such as vermicelli.
- Can this be gluten-free? Yes, you can use rice ramen or vermicelli.
- Curry paste – I used ready-made and adjusted the taste with mushrooms seasoning. If you like to use homemade sambal, please check this recipe.
- Yes you can add other proteins such as pan-fried tofu or curry marinated tofu and other blanched or stir-fried vegetables such as bok choy, broccoli to make a complete meal.
Check out my other noodle recipes
- Curry Chee Cheong Fun – my favorite Malaysian breakfast!
- Kung Pao Noodles – super easy and flavorful
- Black Garlic Chili Oil Noodles – another quick and easy meal
If you try this recipe, I would love to hear your feedback and see your beautiful re-creation. Leave me a comment, rate it, and tag @woon.heng and #woonheng to your photos on Instagram or Facebook. Happy cooking, friends!
Vegan Curry Butter Spaghetti
- 1 serving spaghetti 2oz dried/quarter sized bunch
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter used Miyoko's
- 1 stalk scallion chopped
- 1 tablespoon fried shallots
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- few curry leaves
- 1 – 1.5 tablespoon curry paste
- ¼ cup coconut milk
- ¼ teaspoon mushrooms seasoning or ½ tablespoon of Yondu
- ½ cup of pasta water plus more if needed
- Fill a pot with enough water to cook 1 servings of spaghetti. I used about 5 cups with 1 teaspoon of salt.
- Cook spaghetti as directed on the package.
- During the last few minutes of cooking, heat a large non-stick pan with oil over medium-high heat.
- Add curry leaves and let it sizzle (temper) for a few seconds.
- Add the curry paste and give it a quick stir.
- Pour in the coconut milk and add the mushroom seasoning, then stir to combine.
- Finally, add the pasta water and stir. Taste test and season with more salt if needed.
- Ladle the curry into a bowl. Strain out the spaghetti and add to the bowl. Top with butter and toss to combine. Garnish with scallions and fried shallots before serving. (You may add your favorite protein toppings such as tofu, marinated tofu and blanched/stir-fried vegetables for a complete meal)
- Spaghetti cooking time varies by brand – please check the package instruction
- I used Mama Lam’s curry paste (check their website for vegan version) or you can use homemade sambal
- Other curry paste alternatives include red or yellow
- Coconut milk I used – Savoy.
Leave a Reply