This vegan cheese potato bread captured my attention when I was searching for bread recipes on YouTube. It has garnered more than 50M+ views on YouTube – it looks so simple and is definitely very satisfying to watch. I recreated it vegan styled!
If you are a potato lover like me, then you need to give this recipe a try! The filling taste like mashed potatoes and the outer layer is thin and crispy. It’s like a crossover between quesadillas and bread – it’s TOO good!
While the original recipe uses bread flour, mine uses all-purpose flour. The bread flour version is a little more crispy but the filling tastes great in both. My hubby likes the bread flour version and my kids prefer the latter.
How to make Vegan Cheese Potato Bread
Step 1: Prepare the dough
The dough is super simple – all you need is to mix the ingredients together to form a soft dough. Because of the high water content, you can simply mix with a spatula then switch to your hand and knead it into a cohesive ball.
Next, massage in the softened vegan butter and knead again until the butter blends in completely. I used a glove to help prevent sticking to my fingers.
Once you get a cohesive ball, cover with a damp paper towel and lid, then, refrigerate it while you work on the filling.
Step 2: Prepare the filling
Clean the potato with a scrub. Poke a few holes using a fork.
Add enough water to cover the potato and cook it until fork-tender, about 30-45 minutes.
Next, cool the potato in an ice bath. Peel off the skin when you can handle it.
Mash the potato and season with nutritional yeast, salt, chopped scallions, and a big heaping spoon of vegan mayo. Mix to combine, taste test, and adjust the saltiness accordingly.
Step 3: Assemble
Lightly dust a work surface with flour. Take out the dough from the refrigerator. Using a rolling pin, roll out the dough into a thin large circle, about 12 to 14-inches, without breaking it apart.
Shred some vegan cheese on top towards the middle. Then, top with the seasoned mashed potatoes and more vegan cheese, if needed.
Lift the sides up and pinch to seal, just like how you seal a dumpling.
Next, gently flatten the bread into 10 to 12 inches (depending on the size of your pan).
Step 4: Cook and Serve
Melt a tablespoon of vegan butter in a hot skillet. Place the bread in, seamed side down.
Brush the top with melted vegan butter. Pan-fry over medium-low heat until deeply golden on both sides, flipping a few times.
Cut into bite-sized pieces and serve warm!
TIP: Please watch the heat carefully when pan-frying. If the bread browns too quickly, lower the heat. Also, it’s important to roll out the dough thinly to get an even brown layer overall.
My taste verdict
- The filling tastes like a super savory mashed potato – so so good! Please note that my filling is a little different than the original recipe.
- The crunchy outer layer reminds me of quesadillas – so so good! Yes, I said that twice.
- When I took a bite, I couldn’t believe how tasty it was. The original recipe served it with honey but I ate mine as-is or served it with some chili oil. 🙂
Other bread recipes to try:
- Curry Potato Buns
- Vegan Ikan Bilis (Anchovies) Bun – my favorite Malaysian street food
- Scallion Shao Bing
This Vegan Cheese Potato Bread
- is inspired by the popular cheese potato bread that garnered 50M+ (at the time I tested this recipe) views on YouTube
- is easily customizable – feel free to add some mashed chickpeas to the mix as well
- is best served warm (right off from the pan)
- IS DELISH and TASTY!
If you try this recipe, I would love to hear your feedback and see your beautiful re-creation. Leave me a comment, rate it, and tag @woon.heng and #woonheng to your photos on Instagram or Facebook. Happy cooking, friends!
Vegan Cheese Potato Bread
- 120 g all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- 75 g plant milk room temperature (used Oatly)
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter softened, plus more for cooking
- 1 medium-sized potato
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- salt to taste
- a handful of chopped green onions
- 1½ tablespoons vegan mayo
- vegan cheese as your heart desires
- Prepare the dough. Stir together flour, salt, and baking powder in a large mixing bowl. Using a pair of chopsticks or spatula, stir the flour while adding the milk until incorporated. You may have dry spots of flour left in the bowl.
- Add the softened and use your hand to knead it into a soft dough. (Since this is a soft dough, I used a glove to prevent sticking). Cover the dough with a damp paper towel and cover the bowl with a lid. Refrigerate for about an hour or overnight.
- Prepare the filling. Clean a potato and punch a few holes with a fork. Place in a pot and cover with enough water. Boil until tender, about 30-45 minutes. Transfer the potato to an ice bath to cool down. Then, peel off the skin. Mash the potato in a bowl until no lumps appear. Season with nutritional yeast, salt (I used ¼ teaspoon), chopped scallions, and vegan mayo. Mix to combine. Taste test and season accordingly. Please note that some vegan cheese is saltier, so adjust the taste as needed.
- Lightly dust a work surface with flour. Remove the dough from the refrigerator.
- Roll it out into a large thin circle, about 12 to 14 inches in diameter. Shred about ½ cup of vegan cheese in the middle of the dough. Then, top with the seasoned mashed potatoes and more cheese if needed.
- Lift up the sides of the dough and start to pleat to seal towards the middle to close all the openings (see video).
- Then, gently flatten it using a rolling pin into a 10 to 12 inches diameter bread.
- To cook the bread, melt a tablespoon of butter in a hot skillet. Place the bread in, seamed side down. Brush the top with melted vegan butter. Pan-fry until each side is deeply golden, flipping a few times if necessary.
- Serve warm as-is or with a side of chili oil.