Do you have 15 minutes? If yes, then this easy saucy tofu is for you! It’s super simple to make with only a few ingredients on hand. You’ll have a delicious weeknight dinner in no time. 🙂
I’m a big tofu fan – soft, medium firm, and firm, all the textures I love. While there are many ways to prepare tofu, I always look for a simple one especially when I’m in a time crunch. This easy saucy tofu dish packs with flavor yet are so simple with only a few ingredients. Win-win for me. Another win is you only need one wok or pan to make this dish.
I have been so blessed with all the fresh tofu that I can get from the market here in Chengdu. Each stall sells a variety of soybean products including assorted tofu, tofu skin, and fried tofu puffs.
The two main ingredients here are – tofu (medium or firm) and large green onions or scallions with lots of white parts. The white part lends a great aroma to the tofu that brings out a tad of sweetness. Then, the smaller or younger ones with more green parts are used for garnish. The sauce is as simple as vegan oyster sauce, soy sauce, sugar, cornstarch, and water which you will mix together with the chopped white parts of the scallions. Note: Because I’m using both the white and green parts of the green onions, I’m referring to them as scallions to reduce confusion.
Another tip that I love about this dish that I learned from the ‘Little Red Book’ is to sprinkle some salt on a heated wok to prevent tofu from sticking to it. You can definitely skip this step when a non-stick pan is used.
Easy Scallion (Green onion) Tofu step-by-step
First, press a block of firm tofu with a towel to remove moisture. If using medium-firm tofu, lightly pat the block instead due to the softer texture. Also, medium-firm tofu will release more liquid so it will splash more during cooking.
Next, clean the scallions and slice the white part into chunks and place them in a bowl. Slice the green parts into tiny ‘coins’ for garnish. The same goes for the chili. You may skip the chili for less heat.
In the same bowl with white scallion parts, add vegan oyster sauce, soy sauce, sugar, cornstarch, and water and stir to combine. For a darker sauce, feel free to add a little dark soy sauce to the mix.
Now, heat a wok or non-stick pan over medium heat. Add 2 tablespoons of oil (I used avocado oil), less for non-stick pan. Sprinkle the heated wok with salt. Slowly slide in the tofu. Use a spatula or spoon to cut the tofu into large chunks. Pan-fry until slightly golden, flipping only after a thin crust is formed.
Pour in the sauce and gently toss to combine. Taste test and adjust saltiness with more soy sauce if needed or additional water for a saucier dish.
Garnish with green scallion parts and chili, then give it a final toss. Serve immediately with rice.
Other tofu dishes to try
This easy scallion (green onion) saucy tofu is
- a perfect one pot meal
- quick to make
- easy to prepare
- delicious to eat
- a great way for meal prep
- made with minimal ingredients
If you try this recipe, I would love to hear your feedback and see your beautiful re-creation. Leave me a comment, rate it, and tag @woon.heng and #woonheng to your photos on Instagram or Facebook. Happy cooking, friends!
Easy Saucy Tofu in 15 minutes
- 300 g firm tofu pressed
- 2 large scallions/green onions
- 1 red chili skip for no heat
- Cooking oil
- Salt to prevent tofu from sticking to the wok
- 1 tablespoon vegan oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce plus more
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- ¾ cup of water
- Separate the white and green parts of the scallions then cut the white into bite-size chunks. For the green parts, I sliced them into tiny ‘coins’ for garnish. Same goes with the chili.
- Heat a large wok over medium heat and add 2 heaping tablespoons oil (you may use less for non-stick pan). Slowly slide in the tofu. Use a spatula or spoon and cut up tofu into chunks. Let each side pan fry until slightly golden where tofu can hold their shape. Tip – only flip the tofu once a crust is formed.
- Meanwhile, in the bowl with white scallions part, stir together vegan oyster sauce, soy sauce, sugar, and cornstarch with water until well combined.
- When tofu is done, add the sauce, and gently toss to combine. Let it simmer for about 30 seconds until flavors meld, with a few toss in between to prevent tofu from sticking. Taste test and adjust saltiness with more soy sauce if needed or additional water for a saucier dish.
- Garnish with green parts of scallions and chili and give it a final toss.
- Serve immediately with a bowl of rice.
- When using a non-stick pan, you may skip salting the pan
- It’s best to flip the tofu once a thin crust is formed to prevent breaking the tofu into tiny pieces
- If there are no large scallions with lots of white parts available, you may sub with leek and adjust the sugar down, if preferred.
Nice post. I learn something totally new and challenging on websites
Thank you for sharing your expertise through this post. It has been incredibly beneficial and has expanded my knowledge on the subject. Your efforts in creating such a helpful resource are commendable!
This was absolutely delicious. My whole family loved it. Thank you!