This grilled cabbage wrap is so flavorful and filled with delicious sticky rice and chopped kale stems that you can’t stop with just one bite. I love this recipe because the cabbage has an amazing smoky flavor once grilled.
How to make Cabbage Wrap
- Step 1: Prepare the rice according to the package’s instruction. Since I used glutinous rice, I soaked mine overnight. Then, drain out the liquid the next morning and steamed with water until fully cooked through.
- Step 2: Sauté mushrooms and vegetables’ steam of choice and seasoned accordingly.
- Step 3: Mix all the filling ingredients together in a large bowl until all incorporated.
- Step 4: Blanch cabbage leaves in hot boiling water until soft. Alternatively, if you have a small cabbage head, remove the hardtop with a knife. Then, bring a small pot of water (large enough to fit the whole cabbage) to a rolling boil. Immerse the whole cabbage in the water, head down. The water level should cover at least 1/4th of the cabbage’s height. Place a lid over and steam for 10-15 mins.
- Step 5: Drain cabbage leaves or remove the cabbage from the pot.
- Step 6: Place one cabbage leaf on a cleaned surface. Then, fill the middle with 1-2 tablespoons of the mixture. Fold to seal.
- Step 7: Place wrapped cabbage wraps on a greased non-stick pan and grill until lightly brown on both sides.
Ingredients and Substitute for grilled cabbage wrap
- Blanched cabbage leaves – I used white cabbage, but purple or Savoy or Napa cabbage or any thick leafy greens will work too.
- Sticky rice or any high starch grain is perfect for this dish. However, Jasmine, short-grain, or Basmati rice which are normally less starchy will be a great substitute as well. Just a small note that they may fall out easily when you wrap them.
- Kale stems and carrots – I love Kale stems for its crunch but you can use any veggie stems such as broccoli or asparagus.
- Sauteéd Mushrooms – it’s optional but highly recommended. Mushrooms always give a dish the amazing umami flavor, but please omit if you are allergic to this ingredient.
- Sweet and Spicy sauce – The sauce is optional as the wrap is flavor as-is.
This grilled cabbage wrap recipe is
- Delicious with an amazing smoky grilled flavor
- A perfect way to eat cabbage
- Customizable: use tamari for gluten-free
- A great make-ahead meal
If you try this recipe, I would love to hear your feedback and see your beautiful re-creation. Leave me a comment, rate it, and tag @woon.heng and #woonheng to your photos on Instagram or Facebook. Happy cooking, friends!
Grilled Cabbage Wraps
- 3 cups [600g] cooked glutinous rice or any higher starch rice works
- 20-25 cabbage leaves big enough to wrap a filling
- 3/4 cup [80g] kale stems finely chopped (or sub with broccoli stem)
- 1/2 cup [40g] mushrooms finely chopped – optional (used mini King Oyster mushrooms)
- 1 small carrot finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely minced ginger
- oil for cooking
- salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce/tamari
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1½ tablespoons soy sauce/tamari
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 1 Thai chili chopped
- ½ cup [125g] water or veggie broth
- To make the filling, heat a non-stick pan with 1 teaspoon oil, sauté ginger until fragrant, then add mushrooms and cook to remove moisture (if any).
- Add kale stems and continue to cook for about 30 secs, turn off the heat.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl, add carrots, cooked rice and mix well with the rice seasoning ingredients. Set aside.
- Bring a pot of water to boil, blanch cabbage leaves for about 45secs. Remove & quickly plunge them in icy water to stop the cooking. Note: If you have a small cabbage, please check my stories on how I did mine.
- Place one cabbage leaf on a cleaned surface, remove the harder vein, if needed.
- Add a heaping spoon of filling in the middle, fold in the sides and wrap to seal. (Note: adjust filling based on the size of your cabbage leaf). Repeat with the remaining ingredients.
- In a heated non-stick pan with 1 teaspoon oil, place as many cabbage wraps as will fit in one layer in the pan, sealed side down. Cook until both sides are nicely browned, flipping in halfway. Set aside or serve as-is.
- To make the sauce, add all the sauce ingredients in a pot or pan, then bring it to simmer. Cook until the sauce is slightly thickened.
- Drizzle sauce on the cabbage wraps and serve warm.