Vegan Teriyaki Tofu Balls - 素照烧豆腐球
If you are looking for a simple and quick meal, then, give these Vegan Teriyaki Tofu Balls a try. The recipe is easy-to-follow and made with simple pantry ingredients. It has a nice glazed Teriyaki sauce that's made from ginger, soy sauce, mirin, and sugar that is so delicious with a bowl of rice.
Servings: 3 people
- 16 oz firm tofu drained well (see instructions)
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped kale stems
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped carrot
- 2 tablespoons chopped toasted cashew
- 4 tablespoons corn starch
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ black pepper
- 2 cups broccoli florets blanched
- oil for cooking
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped ginger
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce gluten-free
- 3 tablespoons mirin
- 1½ tablespoon sugar or 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- ⅔ cup of water with 1 tablespoon corn starch
- chopped scallions or cilantro
- toasted sesame seeds
How to Make Tofu Balls
Prepare the tofu: Remove tofu from its package and place it in a nut milk bag. Squeeze the tofu to mash it into a paste and to remove the liquid. The less liquid the better so the tofu will bind properly with other ingredients.
Transfer mashed tofu into a large bowl.
Add in finely chopped kale stems, carrots, and cashews.
Season with salt and pepper then gradually add in the cornstarch. Mix everything together until well-combined.
Take a heaping tablespoon of tofu and place it on your palm. Roll it into a ball and continue until you finish with the rest of the ingredients.
Heat a large pan or wok, and add in enough oil which is tall enough for the tofu balls to float in it during cooking.
Once the oil is heated, fry tofu balls until they turn golden brown.
Remove tofu balls and transfer to a plate with paper towels to absorb excess oil and set aside. Please see Notes for other ways of cooking the tofu balls.
How to put together
Next, blanch broccoli florets in hot water until they turn into a darker green. Remove and drain out the water. See Notes below.
Heat a large pan and add in about ½ tablespoon oil.
Sauté ginger until fragrant, then add in the rest of the sauce ingredients.
Once the sugar has melted, add in the tofu balls. Quickly toss to coat the tofu balls with sauce and let the mixture simmer until it starts to thicken.
Push the ingredients to the side and add in the blanched broccoli.
Toss to combine and garnish with chopped scallions and toasted sesame seeds. Serve warm.
- Other ways to cook the Tofu Balls:
- For air-fryer, I normally use the 'fries' settings and 'fry' these until golden brown, about 10 - 12 minutes, and with a shake in between. Please note that the color may be lighter using this method.
- To bake these, lay the tofu balls on a greased pan. Then, brush them with a thin layer of oil. Bake at about 425°F - 450°F (220°C - 230°C) until golden brown and firm to touch about 25 - 30 minutes.
- How to Blanch Broccoli
- Bring a pot of water to a rolling boil, then add in a drizzle of oil and season with a pinch of salt.
- Add in the broccoli florets and cook until they turn a darker green. The darker the color, the softer the florets will be. Adjust the cooking time based on the crunch you prefer.
- Using a fine mesh, remove the broccoli florets and drain out as much water as possible. Set aside until ready to use.
- Teriyaki Sauce - this sauce is enough to season the blanched broccoli as well. If you prefer less sauce, save the sauce for future use.