Vegan Mushrooms Rendang
This Vegan Mushrooms Rendang is packed with aromatic spices and tenderized mushrooms. It goes so well with rice or Nasi Kunyit with a side of Acar (Nyonya Pickle Vegetables). Give this delicious, flavorful, and gluten-free meal a try today!
- ¼ cup [3oz] desiccated coconut used frozen
- 20 oz King oyster mushrooms hand torn into large chunks
- 3 tablespoons palm sugar or coconut sugar (adjust to taste)
- green part of lemongrass from the rempah
- a handful of lime leaves and/or turmeric leaves sliced thinly
- a few pandan leaves knotted (optional)
- 1⅓ cups [~300ml] of coconut milk
- oil for cooking
Rempah to make Chili Paste
- 25 dried chilies seeds removed, boiled until soft
- 150 g [6-8] of shallots
- 30 g [½ bulb] of garlic
- 5 candlenuts (buah keras) or macadamia nuts
- 5 slices of galangal or 2 slices of ginger
- 3 stalks lemongrass white part only
- 1 teaspoon salt
How to make the Kerisik (Coconut Paste)
To make the kerisik (toasted coconut), place the frozen desiccated coconut in a heated non-stick pan.
While stirring continuously, toast coconut until golden brown, then transfer to a mortar or food processor. Pound or pulse until fine. Skip this step if your desiccated coconut is super fine. Set aside until ready to use.
How to prepare the mushrooms
Prepare the mushrooms - Clean mushrooms with a damp towel, then cut off the tough ends.
If your mushroom is large enough, slice it in half, then tear each half into 2, so you'll have 4 parts. Repeat until you are done with all the mushrooms.
How to make Chili Paste (Sambal)
To make the chili paste, place all the rempah ingredients in a blender, then add enough oil (about 2 tablespoons) to get the blender running. Blend or pulse the ingredients into a smooth paste.
Heat a large non-stick pan, then add about 2-3 tablespoons of oil.
Slowly pour in the chili paste and add in the green part of the lemongrass, and pandan leaves (if using). 'Fry' the chili by stirring continuously over low-medium heat.
Cook the chili paste until it turns darker or when you see some oil is starting to separate from the mixture.
How to put everything together
Add in the coconut milk and cook for another 30 seconds, then add in the mushrooms and cover the pan with a lid.
Let the mixture simmer for about 5 minutes or so until the mushrooms are fully cooked through.
Season with salt, sugar, and let it simmer for another minute or so.
Finally, fold in the toasted coconut and lime leaves.
Discard the lemongrass stalk and pandan leaves before serving. Enjoy!