How to cook Sticky Rice (Glutinous Rice) in 2 Easy Ways
Cooking sticky rice (glutinous rice) at home is easy and can be customized to your liking. Today, you'll see how you can make sticky rice delicious in a kabocha squash or steamed in a bamboo steamer. Give this recipe a try and enjoy with your friends and family today!
- 1 Kabocha squash ~1kg or 2.2lbs
- 1½ cups glutinous rice soaked for at least 4 hours, drained
- 4 dried Shiitake mushrooms softened and reserve the water
- ¼ cup roasted chestnuts
- ¼ cup raw peanuts (boil to soften)
- 2 shallots sliced
- oil for cooking
Seasoning and Sauce Ingredients
- 2 tablespoons vegan 'oyster' sauce
- 1½ tablespoons soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
- 2 tablespoons Shaoxing wine or vegetable broth
- 1 cup of liquid* water + mushrooms water
- a drizzle of toasted sesame oil
How to cook Sticky Rice
Soak glutinous rice overnight or as directed on package.
To cook the sticky rice, lay a damp cloth on the inner steamer rack.
Spread the presoaked rice on top and steam over high heat for 20 minutes.
Seasoning and Sauce
Meanwhile, heat a non-stick pan with 1 tablespoon of oil and sautè mushrooms until fragrant.
Then sauté shallots until they turn translucent.
Add in the peanuts, chestnuts and season with the sauce ingredients.
Bring the mixture to boil, then lower heat to medium and cook for ~1-2 minutes.
Add in the steamed rice and toss by mixing the rice with spatula until all the sauce has been absorbed.
Method 1: How to cook rice in Kabocha Squash
To prepare the Kabocha squash, cut part of the top off and scoop out the seeds.
Preheat the oven to 400F and prepare a baking sheet.
Spoon the cooked rice into the squash. Then, place the squash upside down on a baking sheet.
Bake for about 30 minutes or until the squash is fork-tender.
To serve, cut open the squash into wedges and serve warm.
Method 2: How to cook rice in Bamboo Steamer
Lay a damp cloth in the inner bamboo rack.
Transfer cooked rice to the bamboo steamer and steam over high heat for another 15 minutes.
Serve warm with chili sauce.
- Total liquid for the sauce is 1 cup. I used the water that I soaked the mushrooms with plus some fresh filtered water to make it to 1 cup.
- Reserve the Kabocha seeds to make pumpkin seeds for snacks.
- Try my homemade Vegan 'Oyster' Sauce if you can't find the store-bought version.