Vegan Zha Jiang Mian - 素炸酱面
Do you need a delicious noodle dish? Try this delicious and easy Zha Jiang Mian. It has the sweet, salty and savory that you need in one dish. The sauce goes so well with rice or on toasts, so make a big batch and enjoy whenever you need it.
- 2 tablespoons salty bean paste or yellow bean sauce/fermented sauce
- 2 tablespoons of spicy black bean paste optional, if you skip this, adjust the sweet sauce accordingly
- 4 tablespoons of sweet bean paste
- ½ cup ShaoXing wine or water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms used mini King oyster mushrooms
- 10 oz firm tofu mashed
- ½ cup oil
- 1 onion cut into 8 wedges
- 1 leek white and green part separated, chopped
- Noodles of choice
- Shredded cucumber and carrot
To prepare the sauce, place all the bean pastes in a large mixing bowl, then mix with ShaoXing wine or water until well combined. Set aside.
In a large non-stick pan with about ½ cup of oil, add in the chopped onion and green parts of the leek. Cook them over low-medium heat until they turn brown. Discard or save the onion for other dishes.
Using the same pan, cook mashed tofu until golden brown while stirring continously. Then, add in the mushrooms and cook until aromatic.
Stir in the sauce and turn heat to low. Cook while stirring constantly to prevent it from burning until the oil starts to separate from the mixture.
Season with sugar and stir in the chopped leek (white part).
To serve, cook noodles as directed and place them in a serving bowl.
Ladle a tablespoon of sauce over (more depending on the servings) and serve with shredded cucumber and carrot. Enjoy!
- Tip: If you get the whole bean paste, you can mash into small bits to release its flavor.
- For storage tips, please check out "How to make Vegan Zha Jiang Mian" section