Easy Vegan Sambal (Red Chili paste)
An aromatic and delicious chili paste made from a blend of red jalapenõs, lemongrass, shallots, and garlic. Make a big batch of this paste and save for future use in curries, soups and rice diehs.
- 1/2 lb [200g] red chili used red jalapeno
- 2 stalks lemongrass white part only
- 1 shallot about 100g
- 1 small bulb garlic about 6-8 cloves
- a few slices of ginger about 8 g
- ¾ cup [168g] oil for blending and cooking *separated to 1/2 cup + 1/4 cup
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
Place chili, lemongrass, shallot, garlic, ginger and 1/2 cup of oil in a blender. Blend until smooth.
Heat a non-stick tall pan then add in the remaining oil.
Slowly pour in the blended mixture into the pan.
Cook until the oil starts to separate from the chili by stirring continuously, about 20 minutes.
Add sugar, salt and continue to cook for another 2-3 minutes. The mixture will turn darker.
Turn off the heat and let cool before storing it into a jar.