Vegan Fish Sauce (Nước mắm Chay)
Make this delicious and easy vegan fish sauce in 5 minutes with simple pantry ingredients. Enjoy this tasty sauce with your Vietnamese and Thai dishes.
- ½ tablespoon chopped garlic about 1 clove
- ½ tablespoon chili flakes or sub with 1 Thai chili
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- ½ cup [125ml] hot water
Mix chopped garlic, chili flakes, and salt in a heat-safe bowl or mason jar.
Then, add maple syrup, lime juice, and hot water.
Mix well to combine.
- The spicy level of this sauce depends on the type of chili flakes you use. Fresh Thai chili is also a great substitute if you prefer a spicier version.
- Store sauce in a jar at room temperature for up to 3 days or refrigerate for longer shelf life
- Use sugar or your favorite sweetener for maple syrup. Please start with the lowest amount and adjust accordingly.
- Use light vinegar such as rice vinegar or vinegar for lime juice.